The city of Kent (originally named Franklin Mills) was built by “do-it-yourself” people - individuals who saw an ideal location and the possibility for limitless opportunity. A survey by the Kent Bulletin showed the following businesses in 1870: Four dry goods stores; six grocery stores; two drug stores; three boot and shoe stores; four clothing stores; two jewelry stores; three livery stables; a flour and feed store; a furniture store; a harness shop; two tin shops; two meat markets; five millinery stores; five blacksmith shops; one wagon shop; and a number of paint shops. Those earliest entrepreneurs, such as T.G. Parson Lumber, and their business ventures are represented in this room.
City of Kent Ohioby FastAPPZ
Today, more than 200 years after it was founded, the ingenuity and spirit of those early entrepreneurs continues to be apparent today in the ever-evolving Kent landscape.
-Report issues or problems
-view contact information for various departments and leaders
-Access calendar of events
-Interact on fan wall
-read quarterly bulletin